Running Down a Dream

I have a goal, hope, and dream that I'll be able to run/trot a half marathon in January. 

The summer Andrew turned 3 (2008) I started running.  It was a total fluke.  I had been walking a lot and then tried to do a little run and then kept adding distance until I was able to run a mile.  I was 32 years old the first time I was ever able to run a mile.  There are not words to describe the feeling I had when I realized I did it.  I ran a mile!  What a feeling of accomplishment.  I was so proud of myself.  I decided to try for a 5k.  The night before my first 5k I hardly slept.  I had bizarre dreams of being chased or losing miserably.  It was awful.  The first one wasn't so bad.  I wasn't able to run the whole thing- but I was ok with that because I tried and I was going to keep trying.  I got professionally fitted for a very expensive pair of running shoes.  They were horrific!  I had shin splints the entire time.  Bad shin splints.  The cross country coach, showed Doug a way to help get rid of them.  It was very painful.  I kept running.  A few weeks later I did another 5k (on the way I rode with ice packs on my legs so I would hopefully be able to run without the pain of the shin splints).  I am not exagerrating when I say- an elementary school aged child beat me.  I didn't care (well- maybe a little).  A month later- I did another one.  I ran the whole thing.  I was so proud of myself!  I called my parents. That fall I ran 3-4 times a week religiously.  I brought my stuff to work with me.  I iced my legs constantly.  Finally I bought new shoes.  My shins were cured within days.  So much for professional fittings.   I talked friends into running with me.  We ran a 5K together.  I ran throughout the winter.  In April I ran a 10K- the entire Cooper River Bridge Run.  That was a high that stayed with me for days.  I wore my shirt to school and told anyone who asked- yep I ran it.  I never brag about myself- it's just not what's done.   I ran inconsistenly the following summer, but started back towards the end. I ran while I adjusted to my new self contained class.  I discovered that running is actually a great mood enhancer!   And then I got pregnant and couldn't imagine anything worse than . . . well anything.  I felt horrible!  Running, sitting, standing, sleeping.  It didn't matter.  I stopped running.  By the time I felt better- I was too big to run comfortably.  So I walked because I was going to get back into it after the baby was born.  About 6 weeks after Alexa was born, I went out and ran a mile.  No sweat. (well I sweat because I am a sweaty person) but I did it.  I planned to get back in shape while Andrew was at school and Alexa and I were home.  I didn't anticipate a collicky baby.  Let me just say- nothing can ruin a good run like a squawling baby!  And then I went back to work and there was no way I had time.  I am trying like crazy to get back into it now.  I went this morning and it was lovely.  I left the ipod at home and listened to the birds and crickets and it was so serene.  Despite my huffing, gasping, and heaving- it was still serene.  I loved it. 
I really hope I can do this and my family, time, lack of motivation that can creep up on you- don't prevent it.  I really want that 13.1 sticker on my car. 

Comments

  1. I read on a runner's site, other runners think those are lame. I like them though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .