The Blues

I don't know about y'all, but I've been feeling a little blue the last couple of weeks.  Initially, I assumed it was due to the 11 inches of rain that fell at my house since Memorial Day.  Except, it's stopped raining and I'm still feeling a little . . . out of sorts.  Then I thought- it's probably because I am dehydrated and haven't been exercising.  But I'm guzzling water and taking the puppy on 2 walks a day.  Yesterday, I walked, drank water, AND I had time alone to listen to whatever music I wanted, and worked uninterrupted by any of my family on weeding my garden for over an hour.  Usually all of those things totally reset me. 
Today I find I'm still just . . . something.  Something's not right. 
My mom called, so we could be catty about Ina Garten announcing on Instagram that she's gonna take the week off from cooking and work in her garden.  Hah. I seriously doubt she's as sweaty and dirty working in her garden as I am.  By work in her garden she means- bring organic, gourmet snacks to her artistic friend who works her garden. 
After we were catty I talked about how I'm out of sorts, and she said, "It's no wonder!  It's hard right now!!" 
And it made me realize how I've been thinking so much about what's happening.  How I am worrying about the safety of the protesters and police officers.  I hope that legitimate changes take place, but . . . we seem so divided, so how?  What can I do?  What do I need to do better at (besides ending sentences with "at.")? 
There are a few times in American history that are my favorite to hear about: westward expansion, World War 2, and the Civil Rights Era.  I've always wondered what it felt like to be alive in the summer of 1964.  Did it feel like you were alive in a time of really big, exciting changes?  People who planned the walk outs or sit ins probably felt like they were part of something big, but what about the regular person.  The regular mom at home- did she know? 
I hope that this summer is a summer of positive changes that last and that we don't get complacent with. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .