Stupid, I think NOT!

So today my little friend Andrew and I got a warning.  Not from the police officer (I don't get warnings from them, they just give me tickets.  Like going 15 mph over the speed limit once a year is speeding or something!) 

No, I mean Andrew got a warning of consequences and I got a warning of what is to come. 

As we were getting in the car today, I thought I had misplaced something and Andrew said in response to my searching- "Stu . . . " and then didn't finish the statement.  So I locate what I misplaced, get in the car, get it started and start to back out and Andrew says, "Mommy, what would you do if I called you stupid?"  Holy Smokes?!  What?!!!  I think I have once mentioned how many thoughts can race through my brain in a split second- this was one of those moments.  Some of the thoughts I had were:  when did my son- who still thinks I am cool sometimes- start to think "stupid" and "mommy" in the same sentence?!  I cannot put into words my other thought, as I simply saw red.  And then the one that is still lingering- does he think I am stupid?!  I mean- I am forgetful and sometimes a little geeky, but stupid?  No. 

So here's my response: "Andrew, if you ever, and I mean ever, call me stupid- there will be MAJOR problems.  Do you understand?"  I didn't scream, yell, cry, or laugh.  I said it straight up, matter of fact, let there be no question- there will be problems.  What the problems are?  I have no idea.  I haven't thought of them yet.  But there will be problems. 

I didn't say anything as we continued on down the road but thought to myself- "Holy Cow am I glad I got to warn him about what could happen, and am I glad I got warned it could happen."  And then I kicked myself for being so naive. 

Because then I remembered the time I called my mother an asshole.  I don't remember what our beef was about, but I remember I was standing at the top of the steps, and she was at the bottom.  I was yelling at how mean and awful she was and called her an asshole.  (who was the mean and awful in that scenario- I ask?!).  All I remember next is the look that came over her face, and the next thought was, "ooops.  I went a smidge too far."  I have no recollection of her beating me- but I can honestly say if she did- I clearly deserved it. 

If I could call my mother an asshole, then I am pretty sure Andrew (who I think is way better behaved and more delightful than I was) has the potential to call me stupid.  Please, just don't let it be soon or worse!

Comments

  1. You talked to your mom that way???? Man, everyone knows I was a MAJOR brat, but would NEVER do that. Kate, you were a sucky daughter. haha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .