Special Olympics

I should warn you, today’s post might be sappy.  I am not typically a sap.  It generally only happens to me around child birth and the Special Olympics.  Since I am not pregnant, I guess today’s sappiness can only be because I went to the Special Olympics yesterday. 
I’ll tell ya, there is absolutely NOTHING like watching kids smile like those kids smile.  I have this one student that while we were training she refused to walk fast, throw far, or work hard.  According to her dad she was so excited about the Special Olympics, according to us- she could not have cared less.  Until she got there yesterday.  Then we discovered that she could run fast- so fast she won her division!  And the smile she smiled while she stood on the medal stand was beautiful!   
There’s absolutely NOTHING like watching “regular” kids relax and enjoy being with the athletes.  I cannot put into words how I know this, but kids who are pain in the rear ends in the hallways, classrooms, and around their friends- are softer and more compassionate around special needs kids than you would ever believe.  (Totally a side story, this year the chorus teacher came to me and said-“I want to try something.  I have a student that needs to see there’s more to the world than her and her bad attitude.  I was wondering if she could work with your students- teach them a few songs and then your students could sing them in the Winter Concert?”  When I realized what student it was, I did a huge internal groan.  “THAT kid?!  Jeez, she’s a nightmare in the hallways!!!”  But while she worked with my students, she was so patient (and believe me- she needed patience.  2 of my girls announced they hated Christmas songs and weren’t singing them.  Everyday this girl coaxed and prodded and eventually got one of them to sing the songs)  I raved about her to her grandmother, who couldn’t believe a teacher had anything nice to say about her granddaughter- no one ever says nice things about her granddaughter.  I said she had a real gift for working with students like mine- she might want to pursue it.)
If you’ve never been, then you should know they have a special needs student sing the National Anthem.  Today one of the regular students who came along to be a buddy to one of my athlete’s, turned to me after the National Anthem was sung and said, “I don’t care if I am allowed to be a buddy next year!  I wouldn’t miss this for anything!  Hearing her sing the National Anthem made me cry.”  I know high schoolers can be self-absorbed, but even the most self-absorbed kid, can see what an accomplishment it is to stand in front of a crowd of hundreds and sing- no matter who you are. 
Well, that wasn’t so bad.  I won’t lie- I editted a lot of the really over the top sappy parts out.  I don’t want to give you the impression that I am becoming soft.  I'm not.  I'm still tough as nails, never getting exceptionally emotional because of the pride I feel watching my students feel pride in themselves and that I got to be part of what they accomplished.  Nope.  Not me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .