A weird memory

So, let me begin this post by saying- I love my children- don't most mothers?  What's not to love?  They're cute, funny, loving, and in general wonderful. I made them (with a little help ;-)  However, sometimes . . . they are challenging.  Alexa particularly.  She started life colicky.  I had to take her to the doctor at 10 days old because she had goo coming out of her right eye.  I panicked- thinking "Oh My God!!! She's already got Andrew's affinity for ear infections!  She's only 10 days old!!!"  (If you don't know- Andrew's had 4 sets of tubes- in 4 years.  The first 2 sets happened within the first year of his life).  So I took her to the doctor- (just a weird tear duct thing that repaired itself) and said, "Oh yea- this kid cries a lot.  I didn't sign up for that kind of kid- can you take her back?"  Ok- no I didn't say all of that.  But I did say, "She cries a lot! What's the deal, doc?!"  Then he said . . . "Colic.  Here are some drops that probably won't make much of a difference- nothing really does- do the best you can- use your support network (I took that to mean- drink beer and eat chocolate regularly).  Good luck."  (for the record I actually love this pediatrician because he's not an over reactor and he's exceptionally practical).  And so I brought home my crying baby.  And cry she did- unless she was being held- primarily by me, in a specific position.  She SCREAMED in the car (my mother rode with her once- she can attest to the screaming part).  However the point of this is one particular day, you just needed the background knowledge of Alexa have colic to know what I was dealing with.  If you've never been around a colicky baby- try not to.  They're not all that fun.
It was about a month after Alexa was born.  Andrew, Alexa, and I had just been to the store and when we returned everyone was hungry.  So I set Alexa (in the car carrier) down on the floor near the kitchen table.  She was, of course, crying.  I decided to fix Andrew's lunch first- and then I could feed Alexa and everyone would be happier.  Out of the corner of my eye- I saw Andrew moving something on the table and accidentally hitting a cup full of water. 
You know how sometimes you can see things happening, and you can predict perfectly how they'll turn out, but can do nothing to make the events- already in motion- stop?  This was one of those times. 
Alexa is still crying (have I mentioned she has the shrillest, loudest cry EVER?!), and there the cup with water goes, over the table and onto . . . yep, onto her head.  Andrew looked horrified.  His face had a mix of: "Oh *&%$ I going to be in so much trouble!/ I cannot believe I just did that/ and hehehehe I actually did that- and it was a true accident!"  I stood there for a second, debating my reaction.  I decided on this course:
To Andrew I said, "Buddy- I know that was an accident. I am not mad at you, however I need a minute to collect myself.  Can you go to your room for just a little bit?"
To Alexa- I fixed the bottle
To me- I grabbed a beer (did I mention it was 11am?) and sat down on the couch- each of us drinking from a bottle- and I watched 15 minutes of Beverly Hills 90210.
Now that I look back on that moment- it seems like such a minor thing, except at the time, my patience was about totally taxed. However- the lesson here is- 15 minutes of trash tv and a beer can cure most of my troubles- for the moment.

Comments

  1. I can't tell you how much I love and appreciate this post. Love your "support" network.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .