A Disaster Waiting to Happen!

I bet you think this entry is going to be about Doug and that he sustained yet another head injury (the day after Doug proposed he hit his head and I had to take him to urgent care for staples. A year and a half later he had some clamp or something fall on his head- and I took him to the same urgent care, where we had the same nurse- and she remembered us!).  Or maybe you thought it would be about Andrew since he has come home twice in the last week with a goose egg on his forehead from where he has run into the same pole, on the same playground, in the same spot on his head?  Or maybe even Alexa- since she has also come home with 2 incident reports from school- both involving her hitting her head (perhaps if she didn't pitch herself backwards when she's throwing a fit- she wouldn't hit her head on the floor?  just a thought).  Head injuries is a Latta trademark.  However- this post is not about any of the above and it doesn't result in a head injury.  Yours truly was a KLUTZ today! 
So, I am wearing my favorite Dansko Shoes.  If you don't know what that particular type of shoe is- I am including a lovely picture:
They are so comfortable.  I just love them.  However, occasionally I'll be walking on a totally level, smooth surface and BAM!  My foot rolls and I stumble.  As I am the picture of grace and poise under most circumstances I am able to pull off my little foux pas with no one even noticing (yeah right). 
This morning for example . . . . I go speeding off to the bus lot to tell one of my assistant principals this incredibly important piece of information.  So there I am within 20 feet of my principal- I am so close I call out, "Hi!" wave and smile.  I am walking on a smooth concrete sidewalk, dodging the high school kids because I am walking against their traffic as they file into the building.  In order to stay out of their way- I walk along the side of the side walk when suddenly- WHAM!  My foot rolls.  Normally I would just stumble in an upright position and keep walking- totally playing it off in my smooth, nonchalant way.  Not today.  Not in front of 50 or so high school kids, 2 assistant principals, a teacher, and a bus driver (but who's counting).  No.  Today I stumble, wobble, fall into a flower bed full of wood chips, and sort of roll around before I grab a nearby pole and pull myself up.  It's moments like this- when it is a good thing I can laugh at myself- you know?  I will say- the only person really laughing- was me.  People who talk about how horrible high school kids are- they're not so bad, they saw a woman rolling in wood chips this morning and asked if she was ok- without laughing.

Comments

  1. Oh don't you worry missy - they laughed all right. Good thing you didn't follow them down the hall and hear their comments. Dad and I are rolling off the couch we are laughing so hard. sorry - you got your style and grace from dad! haha xxxooomom

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah ha ha I'm laughing too... in a loving way. also i love your blog.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the stumble/roll ankle/recover move! I think I saw it a few times and even perfected it myself in the aisles of 148 :) I'm glad you're okay and that MHS has nicer students than SVHS ever did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with your mom. They definitely were laughing when you weren't looking!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .