Dates, Steak, and 'Pillow Talk'

Last night I took Doug out on a surprise date (in honor of his birthday) to our very favorite steak restaurant. 
I love steak. 
Love it.
I could NEVER be a vegetarian.  Couldn't do it.  I love the flavor, the texture, the process of chewing a good steak.  I love steak. 
I know beautiful, calm bovines are being killed for me to enjoy my dinner.  I just don't think of that.  Cows in the pasture are different than the cows that are killed.  That's my story and I am sticking to it.
I am a simple steak girl- but a snobby one.  I prefer a tenderloin cut. I just need to sprinkle my tenderloin with a bit of salt and pepper and put under a broiler, and then put some sauteed mushrooms on top of my steak with lots of pink- and I am set to go.  (my mouth is watering just thinking of this)
One year my mother gave me- what is turning out to be one of my favorite presents- a big beef tenderloin for Christmas.  I know, I know.  Beef tenderloin- for Christmas?! Beef tenderloin is a luxury item to us two teachers and isn't that what Christmas is for?  Luxury items you wouldn't normally buy yourself?  Yes.  Yes, as far as I am concerned- yes.  So in case you were wondering what to get me for Christmas, beef tenderloin please. 
Anyway- we went to the "Beef and Bottle."   Doug got filet mignon and I got tenderloin tips with mushrooms, peppers, and onions.   This is one of the first times we'd been alone (and not in front of a tv) this summer, so we were really chatting it up . . . until the steak arrived on the table.  Then it was dead silence.  I wasn't even eavesdropping on the nearby tables (one of my favorite restaurant past times).  I just savored my dinner.  The only thing that would have improved my dinner was having more mushrooms than peppers.  Each bite was fabulous.  It was so tender and flavorful.  Have I told you I love steak? 
So when I cleared my plate (except for a few peppers), Doug said- "Did you like your dinner?"  (apparently I ate with zest).  I said, "mmmm- I love steak." 
Then I giggled.
Wiggled my eye brows and said, "I might even like tube steak."  
Who doesn't like a girl who ends dinner on that note? 
Apparently Doug- because he just rolled his eyes at me.

Comments

  1. Shut up!!!! Ha ha ha ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you should really keep this kind of post limited to just a few people. Otherwise everyone will know you're a freak. Just sayin.... HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard the word "tube steak". Knowing you, it means what I think it does. Dirty birdy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, this has me cracking up. It also makes me want to go out and buy a steak for dinner.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .