Four Stages of Summer

 I have just finished my 23rd year of teaching . . . I think.  Or maybe it was 24?  I don't know- that's not the point of today's post.  The point is- I have a lot of summer's under my belt.  Enough summer's that I have a pattern.  Four stages that I go through.  

Stage 1: This stage happens the day summer begins for me. I am a whirlwind of productivity.  I cannot be stopped.  It lasts approximately 2-3 weeks.  This year I ran several errands: making deliveries to the Goodwill, Spectrum to return cable equipment, and a variety of other errands I put off during the school year.  I also wrapped up several projects: getting Alexa's new desk done, my desk done, the garage cleaned, shelves hung, the baseboards wiped down, floors mopped (behind the fridge too), and light fixtures cleaned.  Every day- I am a BUSY BEE.  I have completely wiped school from my brain- and ain't no one gonna talk to me about it or think about it or do anything for it.  I forced Alexa to read Hunger Games- and then we binged read it- and then watched it . . . more than once.  I read quality literature.  I did interesting things. 

Stage 2: This stage begins sometime around July 4th.  Give or take a few days.  This is my Guilt Free Relaxation Stage.  I read, binge watch tv, and lay around . . . I feel absolutely NO GUILT for how lazy I am. I am reading and watching trash- it's totally bubble gum for the brain.  I relish in my lounging.  It's glorious.  I am doing the bare minimum of chores around the house: laundry, cooking (although- that's at a minimum as well), and I might vacuum up dog hair every now and then.  This carries me through until around the 25th of July.  

Stage 3: I am bored.  Bored with relaxing and since I was so productive at the beginning of the summer- I have nothing left to do around the house.  I can think of literally nothing to do.  Because I can think of nothing- I tend to  reread books and watch crap tv like "Friends" or other shows I've watched more than once- but I am too lazy to look for new things.    This stage is thankfully the shortest stage.  I am boooorrreeeddddd in this stage.  

Stage 4: (I am approaching this stage now). I have a renewed sense of purpose.  New ideas to try.  I went to visit a friend this weekend- for a girl's weekend, and as I knew she would- she inspired several new ideas of things to do.  Also- Alexa inspired a few things as well.  So- this upcoming week we have a Harry Potter marathon (to celebrate his birthday), and themed treats to fix to go along with the movies.  And- since Alexa has started baking, she said she needed a cookbook holder to hold the kitchen- so I think I need to make a cookbook holder.  I have a plan- and tomorrow we're going to buy the supplies.  I also have a thought of a few house chores I want to accomplish this week.  If history does in fact repeat itself- I will most likely start thinking about lesson plans next week, as well as do some random organization project around the house.  Last year I organized the cleaning brushes.  Thank goodness!! I have found it eternally useful to have them so well organized.

I have about two and a half weeks of summer left- I need to make the most of them.  Productivity here I come!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .