Holding The Babies

Sometimes when we go out in public, I see babies and I say, "Oh! I wonder if those random people, that I have NEVER seen before in my life, would let me hold their cute baby?!"  Doug always, and I mean always, rolls his eyes at me.  Like a random person is going to let me hold their baby?!!!!  I mean- really.  I wouldn't actually ask.  In this day and age, I accept the fact that would be weird, alarming, and socially unacceptable behavior.  I can't just ask people I don't know, if I could hold their baby.  No matter how squishy, adorable, and desirable that baby might be.

Today, we were at a restaurant and I wondered if the random people that I have never seen before would share a bite of their delicious dessert.  My mother humored me with fantastical possibilities of how that conversation could turn out.  She thought those conversations were pretend, I was practicing for when I really did ask.  Hahaha . . hah. . . ha (I 65% considered it.  That dessert looked FREAKING awesome!)  Doug ignored me.

Well, after lunch, after wandering through the Biltmore, we were sitting outside waiting on our shuttle to take us to the car, and this cutie lady walked in our direction.  She had a cutie blond pre-schooler, and a CUTIE infant.  My mom teased me about asking her to hold the baby, the lady overheard us, and said, "Well, actually . . .  I really need to do something with the bottle- would you?" I was stunned.  A perfect stranger finally came along and let me hold her baby!!!!!!!!!!!!   What a delight! And the baby was precious.  Totally and completely darling.  She didn't cry.  She was wearing the cuties little navy blue onsie, bald as all get out, and sucking her two middle fingers.  I would have held that baby all afternoon.  I didn't want to be weird about it.  I didn't want to scare the kind lady that delighted a weirdo stranger.  I honestly can't say what thrilled me more- holding the baby, or the fact that she let me hold the baby.  Either way- you be the judge.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .