A Discerning Eye

Yesterday Doug and I went to our local home improvement store to get some wood for a project we're working on.  While we were parking, I saw a family walking in.  As we approached the aisle to pick up our needed materials, that family was pushing a cart laden with several pieces of boards.  It took them all of . . . 5 minutes to pick out probably 10 boards.

Also on that aisle was another gentleman, we'll call him . . . Hug.  I had observed . . . Hug since we entered the store.  He is a very handsome man.  He looks like he is probably moderately tolerant of his wife, very handy, and SMART.  His eyes shine with intelligence.  But anyway- he was so entertaining to me.  He clearly had a very discerning eye.  I mean, he looked for just the right cart. You have to figure, if he was particular about the type of cart he selected, he would probably be very selective about all other decisions in his life (I bet his wife is amazing: beautiful, smart, funny, and not a pain in the rear).

I'm not sure exactly how many boards D . . . I mean, Hug was there to get, but it didn't look like many, as I subtly observed from a few feet away.  It took him awhile to select the perfect board.  Each board went through a rigorous inspection.  It had to pass a first glance test, to see if there were a lot of knots.  If it passed that inspection, then it got taken from the stack, was held up, and checked to see if it was straight, or if was bowed.  If it passed that inspection, it got put into a "possible" selection, in case he found a board more straight or with less knots.  


Wow . . . he took a LOT of time to select the perfect board.  He must do quality wood working. While I observed, he must have gone through 30 boards to pick out what looked like 5.  Now I wasn't paying 100% attention, it would have been rude to . . . stare.  I wasn't staring, or making fun of . . . Hug.  I bet Hug's wife, really appreciates what good work he does, even if it does take him awhile to pick out the most perfect board.  She also probably doesn't make fun of him for grumbling about the quality of every board and how they're all twisted as dog's hind leg. Eventually my smart husband made his selection, and we left the aisle . . .  I sure hope none of you were planning to go buy the same size boards from the same home improvement store, because you should know, they've all been inspected, and Doug took the only 5 decent ones- I can promise you that.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .