A Drama Queen

I bet you think this post is going to be about Alexa, but you're wrong!  It's about me!!!!

A few days ago, a fellow running friend and I were laughing at ourselves and how dramatic our inner monologues are when we're running.  Since I am just getting into the bulk of my long distance training runs (8 miles today- in the chill and mist!) I have found the last few weeks have been filled with lots of ups and downs.  Here's a break down of my mental state.

Miles 1-4:  I rock!  I am so fast.  This pace is brilliant.  I can't believe how easy it is today.  I am so kicking my own a$$!  Tra la la what a beautiful morning!  Just a woman out running, feet hitting the pavement, dominating the world!


Mile 4-5: I suck.  I am tired.  I can't do this.  Is that rain?!  Please let it be raining so that I can quit.  I am so slow.  My pace was so much better last week.  How can I be this slow?  Seriously- was that a turtle going faster than me?  I bet a grandma on a walker would beat me right now.  What was I thinking?!  Kate, shut it.  Get it together.  You can do this.  Toughen up.  Quit being such a pansy!!!! ooooowww but I am so tired and I am only half way through.  There's so much more to go!



Mile 5- 6.5: I totally zone out.  My mind wonders I forget I am even running- I don't even realize that one foot is still going in front of the other, or swearving across the street, it's as if I am drunk. 


Mile 6.5- 7:  I shake myself out of my day dream and start to feel a glimmer of hope . . . I just might actually do this . . .  Wait a minute . . . is that a blister on my toe?  My calf hurts.  I have a hangnail. 

Mile 7- 8:   Holy smokes! I am doing this?!  I honestly didn't think I would ever be able to run this much.  I can't believe I am doing this!  Oh jeez I am tired.  Maybe I'll just quit at the end of the hill.  No one will know.  Wait- I am doing this!  Don't quit!  Then you will REALLY suck!  Oh my calf is cramping!!!!!  Please let me finish, I . . . am . . . so . . . tired.  Come on!  Get it together.  (I think my inner monologue has now become an outer monologue) Kate, push.  You can do this!  Come on!  You're so close.  Just a few more yards, push!!!!!!!

Comments

  1. Love this! I have to mentally push myself sometimes. For some reason, the first two miles are the hardest for me. Once I get passed two miles, I seem to be in a better rhythm and can keep going without having to cheer myself on too much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .