Massive Mom Guilt Week

This week is the week of teacher workdays- before students go back.  I would like to develop a name for this week, for all the teachers that are mom's (and dad's- but mostly mom's because we feel guilt way more than dad's).  I think I will call this week: MMGW (Massive Mom Guilt Week)

This week is the worst for mom guilt.  The worst.  I'm literally on the fringe of a total meltdown because I'm feeling overwhelmed, and over stimulated, and like I was the suckiest of sucky parents today.  I almost burst into tears.  I don't cry.  Like- ever.  And I was about to be one dramatic, sobbing, fool: 
Image result for dramatic toddler sobbing meme

Well, Kate if you feel so bad- why aren't you interacting with your child instead of blogging?!  That is an excellent question.  I gave myself 30 minutes to do something I really wanted to do.  Not clean up the kitchen, start laundry, make dinner.  Nope.  30 minutes- do something I really want- and then get it together and do all I need to do.  But- destress- then I can do.  

At 3:15 Alexa hadn't eaten lunch.  That's bad.  For a lot of reasons, 1- 3:15?!  Really we didn't feed our child!  In fairness, she was offered lunch- but didn't want it.  2- Alexa is a "little" anxious about this new school year.  She's been sleeping with the trashcan in her bed for over a week.  She's not going to throw up- I know she's not going to throw up- but her stomach hurts because she's worrying- so she sleeps with a trashcan in her bed.  Nerves make us do weird things.  3.  When Alexa is anxious her blood sugar gets wacky- and I have to be more aware of her need to not only eat regularly- but healthy.  Sooooooo I just totally set my kid up for a complete disaster by not realizing it was already 3:15 and she hadn't eaten.  4. I didn't even plan for her to be at school, so I didn't tell her to pack food/snacks that will make this acceptable.  So- basically: I'm a flake, who doesn't even pay attention to her kid, who's probably going to have some blood sugar crisis, and I suck.  

As it turns out- she didn't have a blood sugar episode. She was fine, and came home and ate a perfectly fine "lunch/dinner."  She told me about the fun things she did when she ran between Doug's room and my room.  Turns out- she wasn't miserable and unloved, and wasting away.  Nor was she sitting in a corner worrying about 4th grade.  She had fun playing with teenagers and helping her dad clean, and watching videos- and apparently eating junk.  

So why was I beating myself up?  Why was I working myself into a Grade A guilt fest?  Because I'm a mom?  Yep- I'm a mom and we feel bad about all kinds of weird things.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .