Bonding On the Coffee Aisle?

I had the weirdest encounter yesterday at the grocery store.

I was standing on the coffee aisle, making big decisions.  They didn't have my coffee.  They had the beans, but I have never operated the grinder.  I can only imagine a disaster with that.  I was rather irritated.  It's not like I like glamorous flavored coffee. I like a dark roast or a breakfast blend.  Gah!

Suddenly, a gentleman to my left says, "You must be a genius."
What?!  I looked around- I mean- maybe he wasn't talking to me.  Maybe he was talking to himself, but . . . nope.  He was looking at me.  Huh.  I didn't realize I was giving off genius vibes- while deliberating on the coffee aisle.

He says, "We're wearing the same outfit."
I look.  Sure enough.  We both were wearing black shirts, khaki pants, and Sperry's.
So I say, "Great minds think alike!"
He says, "Clearly you are good looking, intelligent, kind, and worldly."
I internally chuckled because- really that was a strange thing to say to a random person on the coffee aisle.
But I laughed along with him, and said, "YES!"
Then he launched into a story about being at the coffee shop earlier in the morning, and a group of older ladies began speaking with him and declared he had a wonderful speaking voice and asked if he would come read stories to their book club.
So I said, "See!  You are kind!!!  You're ahead of me."
He says, "Oh- I don't know, you're going home to cook dinner for your family . . . "
I said, "Yep- it's meat loaf.  Our favorite!"
He said, "Mine too!"
Then we bonded over the meat loaf sandwich I was looking forward to the following day.
Then he went his way, and I went mine.

All I can say to this is, when I'm older and retired at the beach- Doug better come with me, because I will have no trouble finding a gentleman to spend time with.  I'll just go to the grocery store!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .