That First Sip

I discovered coffee a few weeks ago.  My dad and grandparents have always drunk it. My mom was a later on in life drinker (hahaha!! . . . that could be many things, but in this case, just coffee).  My brother and sister drink it.  I've always liked the smell of it.  I've always thought the idea of a toasty hot beverage was lovely, but then I tasted it, and P U K E!!!!!!  It was awful and gross and disgusting!  Oh sure, I could have done a cappuccino, frappuccino, or some other coffee confection- but if I was going to have a glorified milkshake, I might as well just have, well, a milkshake because I know I like those!

People have suggested that I should drink coffee because I am NOT a morning person.  At all.  I can get up, get moving, and be productive- but do NOT try to interact with me.  I co-taught with a lady for a couple of years.  After 4 semesters of working together, we finally co-taught in the afternoon.  At the end of the semester, she said, "You know- I used to think you just didn't like me, but now I just think you weren't a morning person."  I was slightly mortified: a) I was trying to be nice all those mornings.  She was an older lady and I really did like her and b) good grief- how awful must I be- if she thought, when I was trying to behave, I was not very nice??????

When we went to the beach this summer, our friends are coffee drinkers.  They drank a lovely french vanilla brew.  It smelled so good.  I decided on our first morning, I must try it.  I poured in a bit of the fat free french vanilla creamer and it was instant love.  I drank it every day the week we were at the beach.  We stayed one night longer than our friends, and the next morning I did not have my coffee and I had a raging headache on the way home.  Now- in fairness, it could have been the yuck weather- since it was pouring practically the entire way back, or the depression of leaving the beach, or just a long car ride.  But the first morning we were home, I had some coffee and all was well with my world.

On Monday as I was driving Alexa and I to school, I took my first sip and I thought . . . "Holy moly!  How lovely."  I just sort savored it.  And then I thought- "That first sip of coffee, is as good as the first sip of Diet Coke from a cold can!"  Friends who are Diet Coke fiends- you know, nothing beats that first sip of Diet Coke.  The way it bubbles and burns down your throat . . .  it's like a little glimpse into Heaven for me.  I sometimes don't even finish the can because- I just really needed the first sip.  (Let me clarify- that I would never waste a full can, that's like some kind of sacrilege, but I might waste a 1/2 can- on occasion.  It's not a regular occurrence) Obviously my coffee isn't bubbling down my throat- or burning- but it's comforting and soothing and makes me feel so content.  Kind of weird that a stimulant makes me feel that way, and that drinks can make me dedicate an entire blog to them.  Yet again, I prove, I am a weird person though.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .