I Know It's Fiction . . .

I was finally able to convince Andrew that Harry Potter is AWESOME and we have been listening to it for the last few months.  It's taken us awhile to get through the first two.  However, I finally figured out that we can listen to it on cd's we get from the library.  Oh how lovely it is to listen to the reader's British accent for chapters at a time.  It has most definitely sped up the process for us (I love JK Rowling, but she's really detailed and I would get tired of reading before Andrew was tired of listening).  I LOVE listening to this with Andrew. I love experiencing it through his eyes.

Andrew and I had taken the dog for a walk along one of the local greenways the other day and after frolicking in the creek, he comes to me and says totally out of the blue, "I know Harry Potter is fiction."  The part of me that wishes Harry Potter is real, and that I'll be getting my letter from Hogwarts any day now, was a bit sad for him.  The boring, teacher, adult side of me, was relieved he knew the difference between fiction and non-fiction.

Before I can comment on his announcement that Harry Potter is fiction, he says, "You know how I know? Because the trees in the Forbidden Forest can attack people."  I won't lie, that sort of took me aback.  I had to laugh.  We have a totally different basis for how we know something is realistic or fiction. You know how I know Harry Potter is fiction? Because all the children from the Muggle families (the families without magic- for my non-Harry Potter friends) are able to attend a special magic school, without the Department of Social Services or the courts getting involved with the Muggle parents for not sending their children to regular, old boring public school.

While I am glad, that Andrew knows the difference between fiction and non-fiction, I am thankful it's only because he has never been attacked by a tree, and not because he no longer believes in magic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .