We Survived The School Year

 Well- clearly I am a terrible blogger.  I haven't posted a blog since February 28. That's 3 months.  Yikes.  Is our life super exciting?  Not really- but busy.  Back in August, when we were just starting the school year, and neither of my kids had activities, I remember thinking- "When they get back to our normal week with 5 days of stuff happening, I'm going to be in for a real shock!" It happened so gradually, it wasn't actually a shock.  

While the school year began in the most bizarre way possible- it ended in a very normal way.  At the beginning of the year, Doug taught upstairs, Andrew "went to school" in his room, Alexa "went to school" in the living room, and I taught from my bedroom.  I kind of liked us all being together.  I liked being able to walk through and see what Alexa was learning about.   Gradually- we all were released, until April 12- we were all in school for 5 days a week.  There was still a prom, and end of year celebrations, graduation, and a baseball season.  

What did I learn?  

1. Being quarantined didn't impact my social life all that much.  I like to be in my house- so while some people were completely miserable- I was not.  I was quite happy. 

2. I am very routined.  I have a routine for everything, and I think my need for structure helped my family to handle the shock of having no routine.  I'm not locked in on my routine . . . (mostly, sort of, kind of), I can adapt it (if I absolutely must), but overall I think structure helped us get through the beginning when everything was so bizarre.  

3. My children are very different.  Andrew is social.  Alexa is okay making her own entertainment. This  school year showed me where my children's strengths and needs truly are.  From Octoberish-  March, Doug, Alexa, and I were at school 4 days a week, Andrew was at school 2 days a week.  Andrew, academically was fine. In fact, one of his teachers commented that he was more productive at home- than the days he came to school.  He didn't require a lot of overseeing- academically.  Socially?  He struggled.  He hated being home alone.  He was certain he was missing something super exciting.  He would text me 6-8 times a day- just checking in.  If Alexa were home alone . . . I never heard from her.  She wasn't productive school wise.  She used up all of her hot glue, and made amazing Lego creations, and a huge craft mess- but school?  That was something that required Doug to oversee and micromanage her.  I think she learned okay, but she wasn't super great at doing the work. 

3.  Children- for the most part (there are exceptions)- need school.  Andrew couldn't wait to go back for the social aspect.  While Alexa didn't seem to need the social part as much- she needed the consistency, structure, and accountability from her teacher.  I've noticed it with students too.  When students came back for 5 days a week, our principal said, "We're not going to get crazy over the dress code.  I'm going to try not to do consequences for tardies (unless it gets crazy).  The goal is to help the students learn, and keep them safe.  We want the students to want to come to school."  I liked that attitude then.  I like it now- even after the last 6 weeks has been a little loosey goosey and we can definitely tell that kids have learned they have less limits.  However,  we also can tell many are addicted to the vape pens.  It's worse than it was before the pandemic.  And we thought it was bad then.   

While it was no picnic professionally or parent wise- we survived and are wiser and stronger for it. I hope we survive the impacts that come up next school year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .