Birdbox Review

I took the chance and watched Birdbox, a movie- based on a novel- on Netflix.  In case you are not sure about it/haven't seen it/haven't heard of it, here's a brief synopsis.  It is a post-apocalyptic story about a woman trying to get her two kids to safety.  The movie begins in the present, but the backstory is shared through flashbacks.

I will say, I was a little nervous about this movie.  I do NOT like horror movies.  DO. NOT.  I love a good suspense- that's totally different!  Two of my five favorite tv shows- are suspenseful: Walking Dead, and Stranger Things.  I forced Andrew to watch Birdbox with me.  He doesn't like horror either.  He will do suspense . . . barely.  (he's a bigger chicken than me when it comes to movies).  This movie was not scary.  It was suspenseful- and there was one part we fast forwarded through because it was too much, for our imaginations (due to the creature that destroyed the world- people have to blindfold themselves, when they're out of their house so they can't see whatever this . . . thing is.  As a result- people are walking though the world blindfolded- even though there are scary things out there.  I mean- blindfolded?!  Scary things?!!!!  GAH!- there was one part that was just too intense for us chickens, but that is the glory of Netflix- I fast forwarded  and it was all good!)

Here are my warnings:
1. I would NEVER watch this with Alexa's current 8 year old self.  The creature, or being, or thing, whatever it is that is out there . . . is kind of scary.  It makes people kill themselves when they are exposed to it.
2. There was a lot of language.  I don't have a problem with Andrew watching things with bad language- he's in middle school.  He's exposed to it- and probably uses it (Doug is a bad influence.  HAHAHA- it's totally me.  I have the trashy mouth)
3. There were 2 sex scenes.  One was literally less than 5 seconds.  The other one was more of a love scene and while you saw nothing more than kissing- it was passionate kissing and it moved to showing the two characters sleeping in bed.  (for me- this one wasn't so bad- even though it was slightly more detailed- it was between two people that were in a loving, committed relationship, which is more acceptable- in my mind).

What I Liked:
1. Sandra Bullock and Trevante Rhodes (the male main-ish character).  I liked their acting and the characters they played.
2. The suspense
3. Post- Apocalypse is popular right now. I LOVE The Walking Dead and watch it faithfully.  While Walking Dead focuses on how humans/society interact to survive after the apocalypse, Birdbox focused on this one woman's attempt to survive.  After it was over, I wanted to criticize the movie for things I felt like they left out or could have done differently, but I have to remind myself that- this is focusing on one woman, not society.  All the other stuff I wondered about- would make the movie way too long and detailed- basically it would make it a tv show that went one for 9 seasons.

What I didn't like:
1. Sometimes her choices/decisions were hard to accept.  Like the path she takes to get to safety.  I mean . . . desperate times call for desperate measures- I get that notion, but . . . still.
2. I felt like the ending was a bit too . . . tidy.  There  was this big build up and then . . . bam!  It ended. Story's wrapped up. The end.

Overall- I would totally watch it again.I should watch it again because the first time I was unsure of the direction it was going in, and I was afraid it would get scary and I might have to turn it off.  Therefore- I should watch it again so that I can pick up on the things I missed and probably enjoy it even more. 







Comments

  1. Agree with all the above. However, overrated by social media. Will watch any Sandra movie! Into futuristic stuff for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .