A Wee Bit Competitive

Doug and I are just a "little" competitive with one another.  I have no idea why.  For the most part, he's smarter than I am, more athletic than I am, and stronger than I am.  That doesn't exactly leave me in a good position to win often, but what I lack in those areas, I more than make up for in sheer determination to beat him.  I don't just want to beat him, I want to DESTROY him.  

We are Trivia Crack addicts.  I LOVE Trivia Crack.  Actually- I LOVE playing Doug at Trivia Crack.  If we went back and counted all the many games we have played with each other, I have won more.  This is the only thing I can beat him at.  I attribute my liberal arts college education: Art History classes, English classes, and my love of Pop Culture are no match for his sports knowledge. On Tuesday he beat me.  He destroyed me: 6-1 in 2 rounds.  I got a very rude text from him to let me know: "Get some of that 6-1 in the first round!!! Who's your daddy!!!!"  In his defense, he's not the only one who sends rude texts about winning.  I have sent  a few.  In fact, I was just realizing, over the past several days, most of our texts are some form of trash talking about this game.

Trivia Crack is not the only thing we are competitive about.

Last week I helped Andrew complete his Black History project.  He had been working on it in school (or so I thought) and at home (or so I thought), so on Saturday morning when he finished typing (2 hours and 45 minutes later) I was stunned to see, that with 12 font, he only had . . . 1/2 a page of information!  WTH?!  Oh boy, was I MAD!  It took him pretty much the rest of the day to get more information and type it.  It took me sitting with him (he's an insane clicker, in fact, the mouse pad on the laptop still doesn't work, from whatever he did to it, when I wasn't watching on Saturday), but he did it.  And when I say "he" did it, I do mean- he got the information, and he typed it, I did help print it out, and cut the background accent paper.  I also offered "helpful suggestions" about how he lay his information out. However, after that aggravation that totally disrupted my Saturday, I told Doug- he was helping with the Africa project due- the following week.  Doug balked, but . . . so far he's done it.

So how is this competitive?

On Tuesday, Doug tells me his plan for Andrew's project.  On my way to pick up kids, I called my mom to complain, that "Yes, I said Doug had to do this project, but . . . that didn't mean do it better than the project I helped with!!!!"  My mom laughed.  She wanted to know why kind of weirdo parents are competitive over a kid's school project that he should be doing independently anyway. Well. . . . that is an excellent point, but I don't think she really understood the problem: Doug's project sounded more creative, and as though Andrew was synthesizing the information.  Doggone him and his super teacher self! Doug has to go and make the project all Gifted and Talented.  He's such an over-achiever!

Well, that's just fine.  He can do a better job on this project, but I will do a better job at important things like Trivia Crack and fixing dinner and lunch- cause I can do that, Like a Boss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .