Manchester

Nah, we're not going to England, nor have we been there recently.

If you haven't hung out with a teenaged male lately, then you should know Manchester is a challenge.  For example, if Guy A were to tell Guy B, "If you don't shut it- I'm gonna punch you in the face!" Guy C would say, "Manchester!"  Which means, Guy A has 24 hours to fulfill his threat, or Guy B will punch Guy A in a private, painful spot.  Why do I know this?  Duh, I live with Doug.  Doug spends 8 hours of his life with teenage males.  Doug teaches me these things.  Manchester was a popular threat among his crew last year. It sort of caught on among Doug and I. (our version does not require punching one another).  Usually we'll say something outrageous related to parenting our children.  Like, I'll look at him and say, "If I catch Andrew peeing without picking up the seat again, I'm going to refuse to let him pee inside ever again!!!" and Doug will say, "Manchester!" If we played for real, I would have 24 hours to never let Andrew pee in the house again, or Doug would be able to punch me in a private, painful spot.  Thankfully we don't play for real.  Although. . . not letting Andrew pee in the house is sometimes alluring.  (trouble with living with boys #3,459,298)

I fixed a lovely dinner tonight: a pork tenderloin, homemade macaroni and cheese, green beans, and a baked sweet potato (for me- since I'm currently off the dairy and which my stomach and family are quite thankful for).  We were all sitting down together and Alexa was being a bit of a pill.  (shocking, I know).  For whatever reason, recently she has had trouble sitting in her chair.  The same chair she's been sitting in for a year and a half.  Now she suddenly can't stay in it.  She'll suddenly tumble out, which results in a ginormous catastrophe. I thought I would help her by putting a cushion in the chair.  Well, if she didn't wiggle so much . . . the cushion might help.  Except she wiggles and slides, and scooches, and moves and slips so that the cushion slides out, then she whines, then she's not eating (which takes her FOREVER!), then Doug gets huffy and says in a loud tone (which makes Alexa cry), "SIT STILL!" Tonight he said, "Alexa!  If you don't sit still, I am going to go out to the truck and get a ratchet strap and tie you into the chair!!!!"  Well, the eyes welled up, the lip poked out, and the wail started from her feet.  I jumped in and said, (in a not so sensitive voice), "Alexa! Do NOT cry!  Daddy is teasing you.  He is not going to tie you into your chair!  I won't let him."  To which Doug responded, "Manchester!"

And we can chalk yet another delightful family dinner up in the books.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .