Glossy Magazines

Alexa and I had to make a run to the grocery store this afternoon.  After we got all of our items, we got in line.  It was a busy time of day, so we had to wait awhile.  While we were standing there, there were plenty of things to catch our eye and keep us entertained: candy & gum on the right, and glossy magazines on the left.

I'm not sure what attracted Alexa to them.  She's never really paid attention to them before, but today she noticed the magazines.  I feel it need to be commemorated.

Again, I am not sure what attracted her to the glossy magazines.  Was it me?  I was looking at the covers.  Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner are having marital woes.  One of the Kardashians is too.  I could get a beach bod with Jillian.  Or I could make a delicious dessert.  And Oprah wanted to tell me how to relax. Thankfully this grocery store was a step up from Wal Mart- so there was no Cosmopolitan with it's 8 tips to make my summer nights even hotter.

The magazine that caught her eye was "Brides."

I don't know if you've looked through a Brides magazine lately- I have not.  I am pretty thankful this is the magazine she picked up!  If she picked up "Health" it would have been shiny, alluring pictures of women who are incredibly fit and airbrushed and maybe not entirely realistic. If it had been "Cosmopolitan" it would have been filled with girls that are not clothed in the traditional, modest clothes I tend to favor (hahaha- that was so freaking pc of me!  I could have just said trampy girls, but I didn't.  I was all non- judgmental and appropriate. Yeah me!!!).  

"Brides" was exactly the right kind of magazine for her.  The models weren't overtly sexual.  I didn't feel uncomfortable with what she was being exposed to.  She went through each page. Carefully turning the page.  Looking at each picture.  She didn't just glance at the picture, she really looked at it.  She commented on the dresses.  Some dresses she just said were pretty.  One dress she said looked like Cinderella's dress (oddly it was from the Disney Fairy Tales Wedding Line).  One dress she said if the girl sat down- you might see her bottom (the back was all lace, until it reached the model's bottom- she was right, it did look like you would see her bottom).  She didn't have any interest in the pages full of rings or jewelry or boys or flowers. She was more interested in the dresses.  She liked the wedding dresses, but she really liked the bridesmaid dresses.  Those are the pages we looked at the longest.  I almost bought the magazine for her. 

Does this mean she is going to want some extravagant wedding?  Is she going to be one of those girls that starts planning her wedding from the time she is 5 years old and Doug and I should can her college account, for a wedding account?  Is she into fashion?  Does she have expensive taste?  Am I in over my head?  Or did she just like looking at pictures of girls who looked like princesses?  I'm not sure.  I am a bit fearful, but at the same time I sort of wish I would have bought that glossy magazine for her.  It would have been fun to sit and look at it with her.  And to see Doug's expression while he tried to figure out why this particular magazine was in his house.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .