Getting Kissed In the Parking Lot

I ran to the grocery store after school today.  I was in some desperate need of a hamburger for dinner. As I was leaving this lovely, older gentleman gestured for me to walk in front of him, and said, "Ladies first!"  I was flattered with his good manners, and said, "Oh! Thank you so much!"  He said, "Well, I need someone to check for land mines."  Oh, that cheeky, stinker.
I turned around to give him a hard time and noticed his hat.  He had served in the US Navy.

I started chatting with him.  Thanked him for his service.  Asked him what boats he had been on.  He tells me all about how he and his fellow sailors were pretty naughty and had quite a reputation when they finally got off the boat.  Apparently he and his pals got up to some pretty wild antics when they were in Bermuda one time.

He tells me all about how he lives in another county, but comes all the way to this grocery store, so he can get his $50 gas card, and his old geezer (his words- not mine) discount. I said, "Really?!  You just spent your gas card to get here."  Then he tells me all about how he was up in this area because he had to go to the dentist.

Anyway- somehow we get to talking about how I am a teacher, and he says, "I should be thanking you!  Not you thanking me!!!  I am going to kiss your hand!!!!"  And he did.

You know- it's not the first unexpected kiss I've received in front of  a grocery store.  One time, when I was in high school.  I was standing outside of the grocery store, waiting on a friend to come out, and this college aged boy, ran up to me, grabbed my shoulders, laid one on me, and ran off.  I took it in the light it was intended- to be funny.  But since I was an awkward, geeky high school girl- I was embarrassed too.

I wasn't embarrassed by today's kiss. I was flattered.  I won't lie- if that older gentleman I met in the parking lot today, was this charming back in the 1960's, when he was just getting off a boat after a month at sea, I bet he left a path a mile wide and a mile long of broken hearted ladies.

But- just in case any wild rumors get started- he was old enough to be my grandfather.  And I found him charming, not the hot tamale that I find Doug.  Doug's got nothing to fear- he continues to be stuck with me.  :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .