Poor Andrew- No Actually, Poor Me

Well, it just figures- I wasn't my best parent self with Alexa the other night, and I guess my subconscious said- "Don't leave the other kid out!  He might get jealous!"  The thing is- I actually feel bad about tonight.

Here's the set up: Andrew had a baseball game tonight.  He hit a ball pretty far out into the outfield, Doug sent him to 2nd base, and the 3rd base coach was waving him towards third.  He was putting faith in Andrew's speed, and that at this age, the kids still sometimes get addled under pressure and don't make clean catches.  Unfortunately . . . the 3rd basemen made a good catch and was able to tag Andrew. Andrew had a total melt down.  Stomping and crying across the field.  Doug tried to reason with him, but once Andrew gets . . . keyed up, he has a hard time getting himself under control (his apple don't fall far from the tree- what can I say?).  Unfortunately, Doug had to yank him off the field and hand him off to me (as the game was still going on).  Then I went all crazy mom.

Here's the trouble.  Every season there is some unintended personal lesson that gets focused on- maybe it's on being a good sport, maybe it's on being a team leader; this season it's on dealing with getting out- and not melting down.  At one point- Andrew was told if he had a meltdown- he would be yanked off the field and into the parking lot for a . . . well, we all know why a kid gets yanked into the parking lot.  We also know . . . if we say it, as parents we have to follow through.  If you make empty threats- your kid won't respect your authority and then they'll just be bad.

So, I hauled Andrew out to the parking lot.  The whole time I was saying, "I really hope you're embarrassed!" (cause let's be honest- that's the real punishment here- not the swat on the rear in the parking lot).  So we get everything cleared up, and he goes back to the dug out, then back out on the field.  As soon as the game was over- I had him and Alexa packed up and ready to go.  (on nights when we have attitude issues- he knows he ain't getting to play with the boys after the game- he gets directly in the car and goes home).  So as we're walking to the car, he says, "I am sorry I had an attitude problem.  I shouldn't have gotten so upset."  Jeez- stab me in the heart now.  I hate when my kids are all reasonable and mature after they've been disciplined.  It makes me feel like a jerk!!!!!  So I am putting him into bed, and I apologized to him.  I told him I felt really bad about embarrassing him in front of his friends.  While I was disappointed in his reaction, I didn't want to embarrass him.  Then he says, "No- you had a right.  I was being bad."  Good grief.  Just slay me.  Cut my heart out.  How did I get such a reasonable kid?!  I am not sure, but I am really feeling my blessings now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A True Artiste

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .