Stroke of Genius!

My mother has received many a phone call in my adult life that goes something like this:
Her: Hello?
Me: I am a STINKING GENIUS!!!!!
Her: pause, as she registers who is calling her, what I am saying, and I am pretty sure there might be an eye roll as to what "genius" plan I have come up with now. 

Well folks, this one is so genius, I am taking it to the blog world. 

I AM A STINKING GENIUS!!!!!

This past weekend I suffered insomnia.  It is not something I hardly ever suffer from.  If I had to suffer from it, at least I am on Spring Break.  But while I laid awake for 3.5 hours on Sunday night/Monday morning I got a great idea for a snack bucket! 

Huh? 

I was laying there thinking about Pinterest ideas and I remembered that I saw something about people putting an Easter egg with a treat inside packed lunches and I thought, that would be cool if I was organized enough to put different snacks in eggs for Lulu.  And then . . . well the idea took off.  I started thinking of all the snacks I could put in the eggs, and then I changed my mind and decided I wouldn't use eggs because then she wouldn't be able to see what was in the egg and then I might have to open every single egg before she decided what snack she wanted.  So I would use snack sized Ziplock bags. 

So far I've put: animal crackers, string cheese, yogurt tubes, and peanut butter crackers in the bucket.  After I go grocery shopping I'm adding carrrots, cashews with some cranberries, and applesauce.  Folks, I started the bucket last night with the few things I had on hand and I have to tell you, this thing has already proved to be genius!  Because: it's reasonably healthy.  I honestly wouldn't care if Alexa or Andrew ate from the bucket all day (my kids, aren't much for eating so they probably could).  It's already in a reasonable serving size- do I really care if she eats 8 animal crackers when she gets home from school or at t-ball practice?  Nope.  8 animal crackers isn't overkill (and there's only a few bags on animal crackers in there, so they can't really load up on an excessive amount of animal crackers).  Plus, it's so convenient.  I don't have to figure out what snack to fix, who's going to like it, if it's healthy, or blah blah blah blah- it's all done.  When we're dashing out the door grab a snack from the bucket!  And the ultimate of ultimates that I love the most . . . Alexa gets to choose.  Her almost 2 year old little mind thinks she has freedom of choice, because she got to choose a snack.  There's no gigantic meltdowns because I won't let her have Easter candy or gummies- they won't be choices hardly ever!  And if I want to let them be a choice- I can just drop them in the bucket. 

Oh my snack life has just become a million times easier. 


Comments

  1. I saw something like that on Pinterest. My kids are such pigs, they'd eat the whole bucket in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids would too...hope it works, Kate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .