Real versus Fake

Instagram is setting a very unrealistic set of expectations for me.  Not in body image ways. I don't really get impacted by that very often.  Home project ways.  I follow a lot of home decor/DIY influencers.  It seems like they do a project in a day or two and their house is right back to being amazing.  They don't really show the setbacks.  

I decided to paint the main living areas of our house over break.  So I have painted: the entryway, the dining room, the laundry room, the hallway, and the living/kitchen.  Well . . . almost.  The kitchen area is not done.  It took me a month to settle on a color.  I needed it to match with an accent wall behind the tv in our living area.  According to Pinterest and the patches of paint I painted all over the house- it was going to be perfection!   I decided on a nice greige and fully committed to it as I purchased 5 gallons to start with. Good thing I really really like the color.  5 gallons would have been a total waste of money.  

Once I got into the last room I was painting I discovered a few things: 1. I needed more paint.  2. I actually did NOT like the new wall color with the accent wall.  Pinterest is a big fat liar and they do not work together.  and 3. Painting over the kitchen cabinets is going to be an absolute NIGHTMARE.  

Where are you now amazing Instagram influencers?  Where are you to show you too have setbacks that crush your soul and frustrate the mess out of you???????  No where.  You don't show those parts.  Like the jerks you are.  One particular account I follow even alluded to that today.  She said she had to edit all those parts out because they're boring.  GIRL.  Those parts aren't boring.  Those parts are the parts we all need to see.  We need to know that even you- as professionals with assistants and helpers HAVE TROUBLE TOO!!!!!  

So- I am currently at a standstill on painting.  I have made a suggestion to Doug for above the kitchen cabinets.  He didn't say no.  (My suggestion is we hire a person to finish that one part.  That part of the wall has 12 foot vaulted ceilings I don't have the cojones to paint that.  I don't have the emotional fortitude to stand by and watch Doug paint that high- or hold the ladder.  Nor do we actually have equipment to paint that high.  Why didn't I think of this beforehand?  I assumed it wasn't that bad.  I assumed wrong- which means I am a ding dong).  The good news is I have decided on a color to repaint the accent wall behind the tv and it's awesome.  The bad news is . . . that's more painting.  So- here I am.  Coming up with more for me to do- while I haven't even finished the job I started.  Typical of me.  Oh well.  At least I won't be bored.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .