I Literally Just Left Him In A Field

This year has been the beginning of so many changes, as Andrew is transitioning from middle schooler to outright teenager.  He has run cross country for all three years of middle school.  It started with me, basically making him do it. He wasn't opposed to it, but if I hadn't signed him up, I don't know if he would have done it on his own. 

I insisted on him running because I am a big fan of running for mental health.  Andrew has a pretty stable emotional state. He didn't need it for mental health, but I feel like middle school is a tricky time with all those hormones releasing and all that wacky stuff going through their heads, and running would help get through this period.  (Alexa will run as well.) 

This year the group of 8th graders on the team has become close.  It's a mixed group of boys and girls.  I like this group.  The kids are similar in academic motivation, involved in sports, seem to have pretty level heads about them, and are very encouraging of one another. 

They have a text chat group. I read through the texts every now and then.  I've never seen them using bad language nor have I ever seen them talking ugly about anyone.  Again- they seem to be all around good kids. 

As a result of the group becoming close, and several couples developing- they are starting to do things together.  A few weeks ago Andrew went with a mixed group to Scarowinds (Carowinds amusement park turns into a "haunted" amusement park).  (To my knowledge Andrew is not part of a couple.) As a result of this experience in middle school, and what I know about the high school cross country team, I'm doing some subtle campaigning for Andrew to run cross country in high school too.  He's no star.  There's no recruitment coming our way, but there is: being part of a positive group of kids, physical health, and mental well-being. 

Tonight- the cross country team is having their end of season party at a corn maze and having a bonfire.  I brought his fellow teammate/neighbor/friend and he and literally dropped them off in a field.  They piled out of the car, yelling, "Bye Mom/Mrs. Latta!!!" and ran to a group of friends.  I pulled away, and as I drove down the road, I thought- "OH MY GOSH! I just left my kid in a field with his friend."  My 5 year old mom self is stunned with me.  Heck- my 11 year old mom self is a little surprised.  My 13 year old mom self?  Not even a little upset that my kid jumped out of my car and ran to join friends in the middle of a field, way out in the country, because frankly- thank goodness I didn't have to stay and make small talk.  (FYI- the coaches are there- and other parents -who are clearly way better than me)


If this is what I do with my first kid- can you imagine what I do with Alexa?  She'll be riding on the back of random motorcycles and driving off into the sunset!! (well . . . maybe not, because Doug probably won't let her do that.  I hope.  One of us should prevent that)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .