There. I said it!

I hate Christmas decorating.  There.  I said it.  Actually . . . truth be told.  I don't really like Christmas all that much.  There are parts I love.  Christmas Eve.  I like when we're sitting around all together eating our weird dinner, watching a movie together.  I like right after the kids go to bed and there is such a feeling of excitement for the next morning.  I like Christmas morning and the joy on my children's faces (especially this year- it's gonna be good!).  I like being with our families. I like 2 weeks of school off.  Yep- I added that.  I like Christmas movies and music.  I like how my house feels so cozy.  I can't wait to sing Christmas hymns or take cold walks looking at Christmas lights.

I don't like the pressure. The pressure to have the best Christmas card, mailed out with our perfectly photographed and coiffed children.  I don't like the pressure of finding the perfect Christmas present. I don't like spending money, nor do I like shopping.  I don't like the pressure of having my house cleaned and appearing to be professionally decorated.

I feel so much pressure to make this time of year so . . . perfect for my children. I have to provide them with traditions and memories that will last them a lifetime and give them unattainable goals to provide for their children.

I have no idea why I feel this pressure.  Doug doesn't seem to care one way or the other.  I can't say I remember having perfect Christmases growing up.  I remember bits and pieces, but . . . otherwise I don't remember.

I started decorating today.  I hate it though and because I hate it- I decided this year, I am going to do it in teeny tiny stages.  I'm also not doing a gigantic thing this year.  I'm doing some.  Because that's reasonable and it adds to the coziness I love, but I'm not going to stress myself out while I make it "perfect."

This year we're going to stick to a few traditions that I know we love and remember- and do them and I'm gonna let the rest of you strive for perfection- I wash my hands of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedded Bliss . . . Ten Years Later

A True Artiste

Let Me Count the 13 Ways . . .